• To ensure that culinary activities are aligned with the respective Corporate Strategy, and that the
Hotel Actions have been implemented where appropriate.
• To oversee the preparation and update of individual Departmental Operations Manuals.
• To conduct regular communications meetings and ensure that departmental briefings and meetings
are effective and conducted as necessary.
• To ensure that all guest contact culinary associates deliver the brand promise and provide
exceptional guest service at all times.
• To ensure that associates also provide excellent service to internal customers as appropriate.
• To spend time in culinary areas observing associate-guest/associate-internal customer interaction,
working through culinary managers to coach associates as necessary.
• To handle all guest and internal customer complaints and inquiries in a courteous and efficient
manner, following through to make sure problems are resolved satisfactorily and guest profile is
• To maximize associate productivity through the use of multi-skilling, multi-tasking and flexible
scheduling to meet the financial goals of the business as well as the expectations of the guests.
• To ensure that each profit center (e.g. Outlet, Events) is operated in line with maximizing profit
while delivering on the brand promise.
• To ensure that each cost Centre operates with the lowest possible cost structure while also
delivering on the brand promise to the guest.
• To strategically analyze business performance to facilitate accurate and meaningful forecasting.
• To proactively manage costs based on key performance indicators, working through the respective
culinary managers as appropriate.
• To ensure that all hotel, company and local rules, policies and regulations relating to financial record
keeping, money handling and licensing are adhered to, including the timely and accurate reporting
of financial information
• To assist in the inventory management and ongoing maintenance of hotel operating equipment and
• To assist with the input of product specifications, recipes and other data as required, supporting the
smooth operation of Materials Management and Cost Audit functions.
• To assist in the preparation, utilization and update of an Annual Marketing Plan, broken down as
necessary by department.
• To constantly evaluate local, national and international market trends, vendors and other
hotel/restaurant operations to make sure that the hotel’s own operations remain competitive and
• To look for Marketing and Public Relations opportunities to increase awareness and ultimately
• To ensure that all company minimum brand standards have been implemented, and that optional
brand standards have been implemented where appropriate.
• To monitor all operations, especially during peak business periods, working through the respective
Head of Department to make adjustments where necessary.
• To feedback the results of the Consumer Audit and to ensure that the relevant changes are
• To encourage associates to be creative and innovative, challenging and recognising them for their
contribution to the success of the operation.
• To work closely with other department heads in a supportive and flexible manner, focusing on the
overall success of the hotel and the satisfaction of hotel guests.
• To make sure that culinary associates work in a supportive and flexible manner with other
departments, in a spirit of “We work through Teams”.
• To make sure that all associates are up to date with the availability of seasonal and new products on
• To taste and monitor the food products served throughout the operation, providing feedback where
• To work with the Materials Manager in the procurement of the best product for the best price and
in the management of the relevant areas of the Commissary Kitchen.
• To work closely with the Stewarding Manager to ensure that hygiene standards are maintained and
that operating equipment is cared for to maximise its useful life and to minimise breakage.
• To oversee the quality and variety of food and beverages served in the Associate Restaurant,
ensuing that this outlet is operated to the same standard as any other outlet.
• To oversee and assist in the recruitment and selection of all culinary associates. To make sure that
Outlet Chefs follow hotel guidelines when recruiting and use a competency-based approach to
selecting their associates.
• To oversee the punctuality and appearance of all culinary associates, making sure that they wear the
correct uniform and maintain a high standard of personal appearance and hygiene, according to the
hotel and department’s grooming standards.
• To maximise the effectiveness of culinary managers by developing each of their skills and abilities
through the appropriate training, coaching, and/or mentoring.
• To conduct annual Performance Development Discussions with culinary managers and to support
them in their professional development goals. To ensure that they in turn conduct annual
Performance Development Discussions with their associates.
• To ensure that each culinary manager plans and implements effective training programmes for their
associates in coordination with the Training Manager and their Departmental Trainers.
• To ensure that all associates have a complete understanding of and adhere to associate rules and
• To ensure that associates follow all hotel, company and local rules, policies and regulations relating
to fire and hazard safety, and security.
• To feedback the results of the Associate Engagement Survey and to ensure that the relevant
changes are implemented.
• To maintain strong, professional relationships with the relevant representatives from competitor
hotels and other organizations.
• To respond to changes in the Culinary function as dictated by the industry, company and hotel.
• To read the hotel’s Associate Handbook and have an understanding of and adhere to the hotel’s
rules and regulations and in particular, the policies and procedures relating to fire, hygiene, health
• To attend training sessions and meetings as and when required.
• To carry out any other reasonable duties and responsibilities as assigned.
• Produces Quality Work
The ability to produce high quality work in a consistent and reliable manner, in support of Hotel
standards and processes.
• Achieves Results
The ability to identify priorities, solve problems, produce desired results and be accountable for
• Promotes Teamwork and Collaboration
The ability to build relationships within and across functions, balance individual and team goals,
respect others and value different perspectives.
• Communicates Effectively
The ability to listen actively and identify appropriate messages and delivery methods to effectively
• Shows Initiative and Resourcefulness
The ability to initiate action, make decisions, adapt, drive change, use resources efficiently and solve
problems quickly, creatively and practically.
• Focuses on Customers
The ability to identify needs, shape actions and add value to relationships based on a central focus
of customer satisfaction.