Ownership Accountability & Actions
- Jun 15, 2023
Responsible for the financial health of the company, and supports the executive management team by providing insightful information and financial advice that will allow them to make sound business decisions in the long and short term.
Management (functional) responsibilities:
● Maintain a system of accounts and keep records on all transactions and assets.
● Prepare and analyze accurate monthly financial and management reports, including
income statement, balance sheet, budget and variance, projections and forecast, and
● Maintain control of the following areas: general ledger, accounts payable, expense
reports, cash/bank control, billing, and payroll.
● Payroll – administer payroll ensuring that rostering, time sheet input and payment is
conducted in an effective and efficient manner. Ensure all new-hires paperwork, benefits,
performance appraisals, disciplinary action forms and other pertinent personnel
documents are filed appropriately and maintained in accordance with company HR
● Cash/Bank Control – ensure that all cash is managed and reconciled correctly and that
there is a system in place for controlling the handling of cash throughout the property.
● Accounts Receivable – ensure that the system of recording, invoicing and chasing of
payments is done in an effective manner and that property’s debtors are tracked and
monitored. Provide direction to the night audit team to ensure proper revenue reporting.
● Accounts Payable – manage creditor process to include monitoring of purchase order
system from sign off to matching of delivery dockets and invoices to sign off on creditor
reconciliations at month end.
● Cost control – analyze costs, pricing, variable contributions, sales results and the
property’s actual performance compared to target performance. Conduct reviews and
evaluations for cost reduction opportunities.
● Revenue management – prepare quarterly financial projections, analyze revenue,
expenses, cash flows, balance sheets and market trends and highlight opportunities to
● Inventory management – conduct inventory management process from procurement to
store management in order to optimise costs and minimise loss including monthly stock
● Establish and maintain financial policies and procedures for the property.
● Seek out methods for minimising financial risk to the property.
● Provide useful financial insights to help make better decisions about formulating and
executing strategy, and provide guidance and analysis to the executive and operational
management to improve profitability.
Management (cross-functional) responsibilities:
● Pro-actively contribute to the overall management with a particular emphasis on cost
● Provide guidance and training to the team on all procedures including cash, purchasing,
debt collection etc. to ensure strict adherence to financial controls.
● Distribute financial resources at the property.
● Ensure that all financial transactions are processed accurately, in a timely manner, and
in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and any irregularities
identified are reported to management and Executive Directors.
● Establish, implement, and maintain processes and controls that are current best
practices related to transaction processing.
● Perform month-end closing procedures, including overhead allocations, account
reconciliations, and updating schedules.
● Maintain an orderly accounting filing system.
● Prepare monthly management accounts and present to the executive management team
in formal meetings.
● Prepare financial reports including forecasting of profits, cash and payroll to aid decision
● Prepare timely, accurate and complete annual financial statements (profit and loss
account, balance sheet and cash flow).
● Provide financial analyses and models as needed, in particular for capital investments,
pricing decisions, and contract negotiations.
● Coordinate preparation of draft audited financial statements.
● Ensure compliance with all company procedures and highlight discrepancies observed.
● Manage all tax fillings and government permit payments.
● Prepare and maintain books and filing of all contracts, insurance policies, tax filings,
expenses, permits, payroll for audit.
● Ensure compliance to financial regulations and legislation.
● Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance. CPA is preferred but not required.
● Minimum of 3 years of finance and accounting experience at a fuel station (including
gathering, evaluating, presenting, and reporting financial information to management
and external stakeholders).
● Solid experience in coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget
development and analysis, procurement and inventory, accounts payable and
receivable, general ledger and payroll.
● Working knowledge of all statutory legislation/regulations relevant to the energy industry.
● Proven experience as a manager/supervisor.
● Proficiency with accounting softwares and excellent Ms Excel skills
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
● Proactive, hands-on accountant who will own, in partnership with the General Manager,
responsibility for the efficient operation of property.
● Strategic thinker who possesses solid business acumen and is able to organize and
manage multiple priorities.
● Excellent verbal and written communications skills and the ability to interact effectively
with others, both internally and externally.
● Excellent time management skills, with the ability to perform multiple tasks and meet
critical deadlines while maintaining accuracy and quality.
● Proven ability to make complex and time-sensitive decisions in the best interests of the